Comcast volunteers to build playgroundApril 25,2013Staff Report
More than 250 Comcast employees, their families and friends, will come out on Saturday, from 9 a.m. to noon, to volunteer their time at five nonprofits across Vermont as part of the 12tth annual Comcast Cares Day.
In Rutland, volunteers will show up at the Rutland County Parent Child Center on Pleasant Street to assemble a new playground, perform landscaping, and help with cleanup and other improvement projects.
Comcast employees will also volunteer their time at four other nonprofits: Brattleboro Boys & Girls Club, Brattleboro; Outright Vermont, Burlington; Samaritan House, St. Albans; and Upper Valley Haven, White River Junction.
Comcast Cares Day is the company’s signature day of service and the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort. This year the company expects more than 70,000 volunteers to participate in more than 700 projects across the country and internationally.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.