Comcast volunteers to build playgroundApril 25,2013Staff Report
More than 250 Comcast employees, their families and friends, will come out on Saturday, from 9 a.m. to noon, to volunteer their time at five nonprofits across Vermont as part of the 12tth annual Comcast Cares Day.
In Rutland, volunteers will show up at the Rutland County Parent Child Center on Pleasant Street to assemble a new playground, perform landscaping, and help with cleanup and other improvement projects.
Comcast employees will also volunteer their time at four other nonprofits: Brattleboro Boys & Girls Club, Brattleboro; Outright Vermont, Burlington; Samaritan House, St. Albans; and Upper Valley Haven, White River Junction.
Comcast Cares Day is the company’s signature day of service and the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort. This year the company expects more than 70,000 volunteers to participate in more than 700 projects across the country and internationally.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.