Federal program to buy out flooded homeApril 25,2013By SANDI SWITZER
CLARENDON — A home on Cold River Road damaged by Tropical Storm Irene was approved for a buyout under a federal disaster program.
Funds from the Federal Emergency Management Administration and the state will be used to purchase the Prescott property.
FEMA notified town officials that Hazard Mitigation Grant Program funds will be used to buy the property at 75 percent of the fair market value the day before the tropical storm.
In addition, the property will automatically be considered for a 25 percent match through the Community Development Block Grant program.
Select Board Chairman Michael Klopchin said the landowners were informed of FEMA’s decision. “They are very pleased,” he said.
Klopchin told fellow board members this week that the town would have to submit documentation for the grant before receiving any funds.
For the complete story, see Friday's Rutland Herald.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.