2 in Vermont accused of collecting dead man’s SS checksApril 23,2013The Associated Press
BURLINGTON — Two Vermont men have been charged in separate cases with illegally collecting thousands of dollars in Social Security benefits by covering up deaths.
Michael Rivard, 69, plans to plead guilty to fraud, according to the Burlington Free Press. He’s accused of taking about $112,500 from 2005 to 2012.
Fifty-four-year-old Robert Driver pleaded guilty March 27 to stealing more than $151,000 from 1999 to 2012.
Driver had power of attorney for the bank account for Margaret Flint, who died in 1998. Benefits continued to be wired into her account.
Driver lives with Flint’s grandson, Dalton Flint II. Records showed regular withdrawals from her account in the form of checks made out to and endorsed by Driver for about the same amount as the deposits.
Driver pleaded guilty and awaits sentencing.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.