Vt. town getting new sidewalksApril 22,2013Putney getting new sidewalks
PUTNEY — The Vermont town of Putney is getting $250,000 for sidewalk improvements after years of discussions.
The town is receiving the funds from the Agency of Transportation for the project, which seeks to extend a walkway up Route 5 toward Landmark College.
Earlier this year, Putney completed a four-year project to upgrade about a mile of sidewalk from Town Hall to the Putney Co-op.
A state-sponsored park and ride also has been approved for the town.
Town Manager Cynthia Stoddard said the projects, located on the south and north ends of the village, will make it safer and easier to cut down on automobile use. Work on both could start within the next two years.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.