Karen D. MeekApril 20,2013Karen D. Meek
LONGMONT, CO. — Karen Dawn Meek of Longmont, CO, died March 29, 2013, at Longmont United Hospital with her mother by her side. She was born August 21 at Boston Lying In Hospital. She was 59.
Her childhood years were spent in the St. Johnsbury area of the Northeast Kingdom near her beloved grandparents, Burns and Hazel Heath. She moved to the Rutland area in 1965, and graduated from Otter Valley Union High School in 1971.
Fishing was always her favorite sport and her love of horses was also great. She was an excellent skier and skater. Gardening and landscaping were her favorite forms of employment, and throughout her life she remained her mother’s “gardening encyclopedia.”
Karen was predeceased by her father, Robert Dale Meek, in 1997. She is survived by her mother, Marcia J. Rose of Rutland; her sister and niece, Merrylee and Robin Meek of Brawley, CA; and several aunts, uncles and cousins in northern Vermont.
A service of remembrance will be held at Church of the Wildwood in Chittenden on May 12 at 1 p.m., with the Rev. Shirley Oskamp officiating.
Memorial contributions may be made to Church of the Wildwood. P.O. Box 36, Holden Road, Chittenden, VT 05737; or to Rutland County Humane Society, 739 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.