Local man denies domestic assaultApril 17,2013Local man denies
A Mendon man charged with beating and choking a woman last week was jailed on $10,000 bail Monday after denying felony domestic assault.
Tristan L. Taylor, 29, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. He remained behind bars Tuesday in the Rutland jail.
Rutland City Police arrested him Friday night after they were called to an apartment on Grant Street by a woman who said Taylor assaulted her during an argument. The woman told police Taylor kicked her, grabbed her by the hair and threw her onto a bed where he allegedly choked her.
The woman told police she tried to fight back by biting and kicking and flailing her arms.
Taylor was not at the home when police arrived, but he was found shortly after at the corner of Elm Street and Grant Avenue. He told police he had just been attacked by a group of people who pulled up in a car and beat him up, according to court records.
If convicted, Taylor faces up to five years in jail.MORE IN This Just InTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full StoryRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Jerry Rubin, co-creator of the Yippies, American activist, political theorist, businessman, born this day in 1938. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic, historic and epigrammatic content... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Founding father and 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Benjamin Franklin's grandson and namesake dies in jail, for satirizing the president.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.