Local man denies domestic assaultApril 17,2013Local man denies
A Mendon man charged with beating and choking a woman last week was jailed on $10,000 bail Monday after denying felony domestic assault.
Tristan L. Taylor, 29, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. He remained behind bars Tuesday in the Rutland jail.
Rutland City Police arrested him Friday night after they were called to an apartment on Grant Street by a woman who said Taylor assaulted her during an argument. The woman told police Taylor kicked her, grabbed her by the hair and threw her onto a bed where he allegedly choked her.
The woman told police she tried to fight back by biting and kicking and flailing her arms.
Taylor was not at the home when police arrived, but he was found shortly after at the corner of Elm Street and Grant Avenue. He told police he had just been attacked by a group of people who pulled up in a car and beat him up, according to court records.
If convicted, Taylor faces up to five years in jail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.