Vt. Health Dept. to study EEE in affected zoneThe Associated Press | April 09,2013BURLINGTON — The Vermont Health Department is asking for volunteers from three Addison County towns near where the mosquito-borne disease Eastern Equine Encephalitis killed two people last year.
The study of volunteers from Brandon, Sudbury and Whiting is to determine how many people are infected with the virus that causes EEE, but have not gotten seriously ill. The blood tests would detect antibodies to the virus.
The first clinic will be April 23 at the Brandon Senior Center. On May 14 a clinic will be held at the Sudbury Town Hall and on May 29 at the Whiting Town Hall.
The two Vermonters who died from EEE lived in areas where mosquitoes had tested positive for the virus.MORE IN This Just InIn the year since he was arraigned in the hit and run killing of a Mendon woman, former Rutland... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.