Wrongful termination suit filed against Vt. townThe Associated Press | April 08,2013ST. JOHNSBURY — St. Johnsbury’s former town manager is suing the town claiming he was unlawfully fired after just a week on the job.
Mark Shea, of Winchester, Mass., filed a wrongful termination lawsuit Friday seeking reinstatement as town manager and monetary damages.
Shea’s attorney, Stephen Ellis, said the Board of Selectmen’s March 11 vote to rescind his appointment wasn’t legal. Ellis said Vermont law requires cause to fire a town manager, which he says can’t be accomplished by rescinding an appointment.
But a town attorney told the Caledonian Record that Shea was never hired in the first place and that there’s no contract to support his contention.
In a separate lawsuit, former town manager Ralph Nelson is also suing St. Johnsbury for wrongful termination. He was let go a year ago.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.