ST. JOHNSBURY — A former music teacher at Vermont’s Danville High School has pleaded guilty to having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old student.
In a plea agreement, 25-year-old Abby Shocik pleaded guilty in Caledonia County criminal Friday to one count of sexual assault. In exchange, she was sentenced to three to eight years in prison, with all but 12 months suspended.
Shocik has already served nearly 15 months in prison since her arrest in December 2011.
The Caledonian Record reported that the male student told police he and Shocik had sex in a car and in rooms at the school. Investigators said the sex was consensual and there was no evidence of coercion.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.