ST. JOHNSBURY ó A former music teacher at Vermontís Danville High School has pleaded guilty to having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old student.
In a plea agreement, 25-year-old Abby Shocik pleaded guilty in Caledonia County criminal Friday to one count of sexual assault. In exchange, she was sentenced to three to eight years in prison, with all but 12 months suspended.
Shocik has already served nearly 15 months in prison since her arrest in December 2011.
The Caledonian Record reported that the male student told police he and Shocik had sex in a car and in rooms at the school. Investigators said the sex was consensual and there was no evidence of coercion.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe Senate on Tuesday advanced a GMO labeling bill that sets Vermont on a course to be the first... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.