Shumlins finalize divorceStaff Report | April 03,2013MONTPELIER — After separating in 2009, Gov. Peter Shumlin and his wife, Deborah Holway, have finalized their divorce.
Shumlin, 57, first shared news of the divorce publicly in an interview Monday with the online news outlet BuzzFeed. Shumlin spoke to the outlet at its New York City office while he was in town on work as chairman of the Democratic Governors Association.
Administration spokeswoman Susan Allen on Wednesday confirmed the divorce was finalized in March in Windham County Family Court. The couple, who had formerly shared a home in Putney, have two college-age daughters.
“Even though divorce is a sad occasion, Deb and I will be forever blessed by many extraordinary years together and two remarkable daughters,” Shumlin and Holway said in a joint written statement. “No parents could ask for a greater gift than Olivia and Becca, and Deb and I are grateful that we remain friends and will continue to share our strong family. We make this statement in light of my public office, but Deb and I will have no further comment on this private issue.”MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.