Joseph E. Griffis Jr.April 03,2013
Joseph E. Griffis Jr.Joseph E. Griffis Jr.
BENNINGTON — Joseph Eugene Griffis Jr., 86, died Sunday, March 31, 2013, following a short illness.
He was born Jan. 16, 1927, in Bennington, the son of Joseph and Vina (Chase) Griffis Sr.
He received his education in Bennington schools. He spent four years in the Navy and 18 years in the Air Force, serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant and was honorably discharged.
He married the former Louise Frances Elwell on Feb. 2, 1960. Mrs. Griffis survives. The couple had celebrated their 53rd wedding anniversary in February.
He was employed at the Vermont Veterans Home for 11 years, prior to retiring.
In addition to his wife, survivors include two daughters, Melinda Griffis Vosburg of Bennington, and Melissa Davis of Arlington; a stepdaughter Dolores Percey, and a stepson Roy Milligan, both of Shaftsbury; eight grandchildren; three great-grandsons; and several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by a sister, Mildred Mears, and a brother, Frances Griffis.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday, April 3, 2013, at the White Chapel on East Road in Bennington at 11 a.m. Interment will follow in White Chapel Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the White Chapel Society through the Mahar and Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
Guestbook condolences may be made at www.maharandsonfuneralhome.net.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.