ST. ALBANS — The Vermont State Police say a weekend operation designed to encourage safe driving during the Easter holiday weekend resulted in dozens of stops for speeding.
The operation that began Friday focused on areas along the border in Franklin, Grand Isle and Orleans counties with an emphasis on major corridors, such as interstates 89 and 91.
Vermont State Police Assistant Field Force Commander Capt. Robert Evans said highly visible aggressive traffic enforcement can reduce crashes and detect criminal activity.
Among the results of the weekend operation along the border were 94 tickets being issues, including 53 speeding violations and six criminal arrests, but no arrests for driving under the influence of alcohol.
And Vermont saw no traffic fatalities over the weekend.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.