Woman answers to charge in crashApril 02,2013Woman answers to
charge in crash
A Brandon woman who police say was in a near head-on crash on Route 7 denied a pair of criminal charges on Monday.
Cheryl L. Barrows, 48, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence of drugs, second offense, and a charge of careless or negligent operation.
Barrows was arrested following a crash in November in which Pittsford police say her station wagon veered into the southbound lane of the two-lane highway and collided with the side of a pickup travelling south.
The driver of that truck, Brian Hitchako, 60, of Ballston Spa, N.Y., told police that the station wagon would have struck his vehicle head-on if he had not steered onto the road’s shoulder at the last moment.
Police say a blood-alcohol test of Barrows came back clean. But Barrows told police she had taken a variety of prescription drugs before she drove and was described as being on the verge of falling asleep while she was interviewed at the hospital.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.