Woman answers to charge in crashApril 02,2013Woman answers to
charge in crash
A Brandon woman who police say was in a near head-on crash on Route 7 denied a pair of criminal charges on Monday.
Cheryl L. Barrows, 48, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence of drugs, second offense, and a charge of careless or negligent operation.
Barrows was arrested following a crash in November in which Pittsford police say her station wagon veered into the southbound lane of the two-lane highway and collided with the side of a pickup travelling south.
The driver of that truck, Brian Hitchako, 60, of Ballston Spa, N.Y., told police that the station wagon would have struck his vehicle head-on if he had not steered onto the roadís shoulder at the last moment.
Police say a blood-alcohol test of Barrows came back clean. But Barrows told police she had taken a variety of prescription drugs before she drove and was described as being on the verge of falling asleep while she was interviewed at the hospital.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.