Frank C. StrattonApril 02,2013Frank C. Stratton
TURNERS FALLS, Mass. — Frank C. Stratton, 86, died Thursday, March 28, 2013, at Buckley Healthcare Center in Greenfield.
He was born July 20, 1926, in Northfield, Mass., the son of Clarence and Jenny (Saxton) Stratton.
He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
He was a truck driver for most of his life, retiring from Wheeler Trucking Co. in Rutland, Vt.
He married the former Shirley Olsen, who predeceased him in 2005. They lived in Rutland, Vt., for many years and he moved back to Turners Falls a few years ago.
He was known in the Rutland area as “Flip” the Clown, appearing at many special occasions.
He raced stock cars and was an avid collector of Hess Toy Trucks and clown memorabilia. He also enjoyed woodworking.
Survivors include three daughters, Sandra Marcy of Turner Falls, Pamela Stratton of Pueblo, Colo., and Tammy Stratton Aliseo of Palenville, N.Y.; three stepdaughters, Shirley LaFountaine of Enfield, Conn., and Rita English and Mary English, both of Rutland, Vt.; and two stepsons, Roger LaFontaine of West Springfield, Mass., and Eric LaFontaine of Rutland, Vt.; 29 grandchildren; 38 great-grandchildren; and eight great-great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by a daughter, Nancy (Stratton) Williams; a stepdaughter, Brenda Welch; and two stepsons, Edward and Gary LaFontaine.
Funeral services will be Tuesday, April 2, 2013, at 11 a.m. at the Kidder Funeral Home, 1 Parker Ave., Northfield, Mass. The Rev. Charles Bordonaro, pastor of the Northfield Baptist Church, will officiate. Burial with full military honors will follow in Farms Cemetery, Northfield.
Calling hours were Monday, April 1, at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Franklin Co., 329 Conway St., Suite 2, Greenfield, MA 01301.
To send condolences or for directions, visit www.kidderfuneralhome.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?