DERBY — An indoor community recreation center in northern Vermont has closed due to financial problems.
Community National Bank has taken over Indoor Recreation of Orleans known as IROC in Derby on Sunday after the facility failed to pay its mortgage for months.
The chairman of the board and executive director said he hopes that the facility can be purchased and continue serving the entire community.
The center has a pool, skating rink, gym and offered fitness and recreation programs, as well as basketball, volleyball and soccer leagues.
The Caledonia Record reported that IROC’s board of directors could not raise enough money to secure a low-interest loan to pay off about $1 million in debt. The facility also needed $150,000 in maintenance.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.