DERBY ó An indoor community recreation center in northern Vermont has closed due to financial problems.
Community National Bank has taken over Indoor Recreation of Orleans known as IROC in Derby on Sunday after the facility failed to pay its mortgage for months.
The chairman of the board and executive director said he hopes that the facility can be purchased and continue serving the entire community.
The center has a pool, skating rink, gym and offered fitness and recreation programs, as well as basketball, volleyball and soccer leagues.
The Caledonia Record reported that IROCís board of directors could not raise enough money to secure a low-interest loan to pay off about $1 million in debt. The facility also needed $150,000 in maintenance.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont kept its No. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.