takes top honors
BRANDON — The McKernon Group placed first in the category of Commercial Renovation by the Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Southern Vermont.
Known locally and statewide for its residential and light commercial projects, The McKernon Group was honored for its renovation of the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery in Lake Placid, N.Y.
The building underwent a facelift and upgrade to maximize the use of the restaurant and brewery space.
The restaurant and brewery remained open during the eight months of construction. The building is now handicapped accessible. The use of spray foam insulation has also reduced the owner’s heating bills.
The project was evaluated for its construction practices, craftsmanship, energy-saving design and materials.MORE IN National / World BusinessNEW YORK — Japan has slipped back into a recession for the second time in two years. Full StoryNEW YORK — The cold is back, and with it, rising heating bills. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Ensisheim meteorite falls into Alsatian wheatfield, 1665, first issue of London Gazette, 1874, Thomas Nast cartoon features elephant as GOP symbol, 1907, Jesus Garcia saves town from burning dynamite boxcar.