Selectman’s widow sues hospital over deathMarch 30,2013BENNINGTON — The widow of a Select Board member in Pownal has sued a hospital, accusing it of causing her husband’s death in 2011.
The complaint was filed in Bennington Superior Court by Jean Prouty. It says Donald Prouty Jr. suffered a fall at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center that caused complications leading to his death.
The Bennington Banner reports Prouty, who had Hepatitis C, went to the hospital complaining of head and neck pain from recent falls.
Hospital staff determined the 56-year-old Prouty was at a high risk of falling and ordered a bed alarm and “personal sitters.”
The lawsuit says no one was in his room and the alarm was deactivated when he fell. He fractured his pelvis and suffered internal bleeding.
A hospital lawyer denies the allegations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.