Selectman’s widow sues hospital over deathMarch 30,2013BENNINGTON — The widow of a Select Board member in Pownal has sued a hospital, accusing it of causing her husband’s death in 2011.
The complaint was filed in Bennington Superior Court by Jean Prouty. It says Donald Prouty Jr. suffered a fall at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center that caused complications leading to his death.
The Bennington Banner reports Prouty, who had Hepatitis C, went to the hospital complaining of head and neck pain from recent falls.
Hospital staff determined the 56-year-old Prouty was at a high risk of falling and ordered a bed alarm and “personal sitters.”
The lawsuit says no one was in his room and the alarm was deactivated when he fell. He fractured his pelvis and suffered internal bleeding.
A hospital lawyer denies the allegations.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.