Selectman’s widow sues hospital over deathMarch 30,2013BENNINGTON — The widow of a Select Board member in Pownal has sued a hospital, accusing it of causing her husband’s death in 2011.
The complaint was filed in Bennington Superior Court by Jean Prouty. It says Donald Prouty Jr. suffered a fall at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center that caused complications leading to his death.
The Bennington Banner reports Prouty, who had Hepatitis C, went to the hospital complaining of head and neck pain from recent falls.
Hospital staff determined the 56-year-old Prouty was at a high risk of falling and ordered a bed alarm and “personal sitters.”
The lawsuit says no one was in his room and the alarm was deactivated when he fell. He fractured his pelvis and suffered internal bleeding.
A hospital lawyer denies the allegations.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — The state Public Service Board has ordered Vermont Gas Systems to stop digging... Full StoryBRANDON – The Select Board on Monday night took another stab at cobbling together a budget,... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.