Selectman’s widow sues hospital over deathMarch 30,2013BENNINGTON — The widow of a Select Board member in Pownal has sued a hospital, accusing it of causing her husband’s death in 2011.
The complaint was filed in Bennington Superior Court by Jean Prouty. It says Donald Prouty Jr. suffered a fall at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center that caused complications leading to his death.
The Bennington Banner reports Prouty, who had Hepatitis C, went to the hospital complaining of head and neck pain from recent falls.
Hospital staff determined the 56-year-old Prouty was at a high risk of falling and ordered a bed alarm and “personal sitters.”
The lawsuit says no one was in his room and the alarm was deactivated when he fell. He fractured his pelvis and suffered internal bleeding.
A hospital lawyer denies the allegations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.