Selectman’s widow sues hospital over deathMarch 30,2013BENNINGTON — The widow of a Select Board member in Pownal has sued a hospital, accusing it of causing her husband’s death in 2011.
The complaint was filed in Bennington Superior Court by Jean Prouty. It says Donald Prouty Jr. suffered a fall at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center that caused complications leading to his death.
The Bennington Banner reports Prouty, who had Hepatitis C, went to the hospital complaining of head and neck pain from recent falls.
Hospital staff determined the 56-year-old Prouty was at a high risk of falling and ordered a bed alarm and “personal sitters.”
The lawsuit says no one was in his room and the alarm was deactivated when he fell. He fractured his pelvis and suffered internal bleeding.
A hospital lawyer denies the allegations.MORE IN This Just InAfter Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, most shoppers have a head start on... Full StoryMONTPELIER - The Vermont State Police have come up with a form to guide employees on how to... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation