Ralph E. BackusMarch 30,2013
Ralph E. BackusRalph E. Backus
JOHNSON — Ralph Eugene Backus of Johnson died peacefully Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. Albans Healthcare and Rehab Center. His wife, Barbara, of 47 years was with him when he passed from complications of Parkinson’s Disease.
Ralph was born January 20, 1939, on Birch Hill in Brandon, VT, to Ralph and Doris Backus. He attended school in Brandon and graduated from Pittsford-Barstow High School, Pittsford, VT.
Ralph proudly served his country in the National Guard and the U.S. Navy, stationed at the Naval Air Station, Barber’s Point, HI. He was a member of the American Legion and also served as a volunteer fireman in the Johnson Fire Department.
He had been employed at Vermont Marble Company (Proctor, VT); P.H. Edwards; H.A. Manosh; Eastern Magnesia (Talc Mill); and IBM. Ralph enjoyed working with wood, programming his computer, playing cards, hiking the Long Trail and walking the loop around the town of Johnson.
He enjoyed being with his family, especially his children and grandchildren. He enjoyed sharing stories of growing up on the farm in Brandon and traveling with his father while delivering hay.
Ralph is survived by his wife, Barbara; son, Kelly and his partner, Rebecca Whitaker of Lowell, VT; son, Matthew (Kim) of West Gardiner, ME; daughter, Sarah Chambers (Joseph) of Cavendish, VT; son, Tyler (Meredith) of Oakland, ME; and 7 grandchildren: Robert Coburn, Nicholas, Isaac, Trevor, Noah, Avery and soon-to-be born “Baby” Backus.
He is also survived by sisters, Mary Bishop of Brandon; Ethel Larivere (Robert) of Whitehall, N.Y.; June Coburn of Rutland; and Ruth Ann Lafferty of Easley, S.C.; and his brother, Martin Backus (Joanne) of Pickens, S.C. He is also survived by a number of nieces and nephews. Besides his parents he was predeceased by a brother, Ellsworth.
There will be time of gathering for family and friends on Saturday, March 30, 2013, at the United Church of Johnson at 1 p.m. Please come and share your memories.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Johnson Fire Department, P.O. Box 447, Johnson, VT 05656.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.