Police investigate area burglariesMarch 27,2013Police investigate
burglaries in area
Police are investigating several burglaries around Rutland County.
Vermont State Police responded Monday to the home of Lee Hadley on Cold River Road in Rutland Town. Police said someone threw a brick through the window of Hadley’s home and stole some jewelry.
Around 10 a.m. Monday, state police responded to the home of Donna Smith on Lincoln Hill Road in Shrewbury to investigate the theft of antique sterling silverware.
A Danby homeowner returned home Friday to learn she had been the victim of a burglary, police said. Sometime between Feb. 14 and Friday, police said,someone broke into the residence of Jadalyn V. Smietana on Danby-Pawlet Road and stole 200 feet of copper piping.
Anyone with information about these crimes can call Vermont State Police at 773-9101. Tips can also be submitted anonymously online at www.vtips.info.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.