I note that many of the people who oppose renewable energy manipulate the facts to support their position. Such was the case with Robert Kischko’s letter in Saturday’s paper.
He speaks of the carbon dioxide gas emission from the proposed Springfield biomass plant. He neglects an important fact. As the forests regrow they take up this carbon dioxide, and the net results are zero carbon dioxide emissions.
I use biomass both to heat my house and run my maple sugaring operation. I cull this material from my sugarbush, resulting in enhanced growth of my crop trees. These, as they grow, take up the carbon dioxide that I release in my operation. The same arithmetic applies to all of us who burn wood, the Springfield plant included.
I am off grid; I use wind, solar, hydro and wood biomass to stay carbon neutral. I work very hard to stay this way. I resent Mr. Kischko’s implication that we wood burners are not carbon neutral.
Forest regrowth takes up the carbon we emit. Also, good biomass operations use weed trees that we should remove from our forest. Their removal creates space for profitable trees to grow. Biomass utilization, if done properly, also results in improved crop tree production in our forest and a much improved future for our lumber industry.
ShrewsburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.