BENNINGTON — Officials with the Vermont attorney general’s office and AARP are going to be hosting a forum in Bennington to warn senior citizens and others about the dangers of financial scams.
AARP Vermont Communications Director David Reville said the Thursday event at the Bennington Museum will be the first his organization and its partners have hosted in some time. And the last such event was held in northern Vermont.
One lottery scam that has been targeting people in Northern New England involves people being contacted by scammers claiming the need to pay a fee before they collect a lottery prize.
Reville told the Bennington Banner that it’s hard to judge how many people are affected by the crimes because they are under-reported. He says many victims are embarrassed over being tricked.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.