Guilty plea in Vt. town embezzlementThe Associated Press | March 25,2013BURLINGTON — A former Vermont town clerk and treasurer has pleaded guilty to embezzling several hundred thousand dollars from the town of Weybridge.
Karen Brisson served for about 28 years in Weybridge, a town of less than 900 residents 30 miles south of Burlington.
Prosecutors say Brisson stole money from 2006 to 2012, by writing checks from the town to herself. Officials say a forensic audit puts the town’s loss at $476,000.
Brisson’s attorney says Brisson’s home is for sale and she has signed the mortgage over to the town. The town says it has a $500,000 insurance plan through the Vermont League of Cities and Towns.
She is scheduled to be sentenced in July.MORE IN This Just InBELLOWS FALLS - A government merger between the village of Bellows Falls and the town of... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation