Guilty plea in Vt. town embezzlementThe Associated Press | March 25,2013BURLINGTON — A former Vermont town clerk and treasurer has pleaded guilty to embezzling several hundred thousand dollars from the town of Weybridge.
Karen Brisson served for about 28 years in Weybridge, a town of less than 900 residents 30 miles south of Burlington.
Prosecutors say Brisson stole money from 2006 to 2012, by writing checks from the town to herself. Officials say a forensic audit puts the town’s loss at $476,000.
Brisson’s attorney says Brisson’s home is for sale and she has signed the mortgage over to the town. The town says it has a $500,000 insurance plan through the Vermont League of Cities and Towns.
She is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?