Emile J. DesautelsMarch 25,2013Emile J. Desautels
MIDDLEBURY — Emile J. Desautels, 88, died Saturday, March 23, 2013, at his home, following a long illness.
He was born Sept. 6, 1924, in Middlebury, the son of Henry and Justine (Bourgeois) Desautels, and attended area schools.
He grew up helping on his parents’ farm and learned to move buildings from his father. As a young man, he worked erecting radio towers on the East Coast. He later owned and operated Desautels House Moving Inc. until retiring in 2008.
Mr. Desautels was an avid stock car racing fan and enjoyed annual trips to the Daytona 500.
Survivors include two children, Roger Desautels of Middlebury and Victoria Aubert of India; two granddaughters; and a brother, Maurice of Middlebury.
He was predeceased in 1991 by his first wife, Mary (Sankowski) Desautels, whom he married in 1948 in West Rutland; and in 2007 by his second wife, Elizabeth “Bette” (Swenor) Pratt.
The funeral Mass will be celebrated at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, at St. Mary’s Church in Middlebury.
Burial will be at a later date in St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Sanderson-Ducharme Funeral Home.
For online condolences, visit www.sandersonfuneralservice.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.