gets early OK
MONTPELIER — The Vermont Senate has advanced legislation that would toughen environmental review over an oil pipeline if its use sees significant changes.
Preliminary approval Friday came without substantial debate on the bill. It followed concerns voiced by environmental groups that owners of the Portland Montreal Pipe Line are looking to reverse its current east-to-west flow and begin shipping so-called tar sands oil from western Canada through northern New England for loading onto ships in Maine.
The Senate was to take up the bill Thursday but delayed action until Friday after a law firm representing the pipeline’s owner pointed to potential legal problems with the bill.
Approval came on an overwhelming voice vote.MORE IN Vermont NewsWASHINGTON — The president of the Vermont-based New England Federal Credit Union urged Congress... Full StoryTo overcome Vermont Health Connect's early technological woes, more than 100 employees in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation