Joan FarnhamMarch 23,2013Joan Farnham
LARGO, Fla. — Joan Farnham (nee Hitzel), age 90, died peacefully in her home on March 19, 2013.
A loving wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Joan was preceded in death by her husband, Charles Farnham Jr. and her daughter, Fabian Shapiro.
Born in New Jersey, raised and educated in Vermont, she is survived by her daughters, Sheridan Farnham Snell (Richard) and Cassandra Farnham Gaenger (Paul); and her sons, Charles Farnham III (Kathleen) and Seward J. Farnham (Caris); also by 8 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren.
Joan was a teacher in the Schenectady, N.Y., public school system. She was an accomplished artist and a world traveler.
A celebration of her life will be held at St. Jerome’s Church on Hamlin Boulevard, Largo, Florida, at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 23, 2013.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Salvation Army or the A.S.P.C.A.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.