City man charged in DUI crashMarch 22,2013Man facing a DUI
charge after crash
Vermont State Police said a Rutland man was intoxicated when he drove through a guardrail at the intersection of Cold River and Stratton roads in Rutland Town early Thursday.
Police, town firefighters and a Regional Ambulance Service crew were called just after 2 a.m. to the intersection, where a 2001 Ford Explorer went through a guardrail and over two large rocks before stopping.
The driver, James Fitzsimmons, 28, was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center for what police described as unknown injuries. He was not listed as a patient at the hospital late Thursday afternoon, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
Fitzsimmons was processed for a drunken driving offense at the hospital, police said.
He was not wearing a seat belt, police said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.