Police: Two arrested in city heroin bustStaff Report | March 22,2013A drug raid at an East Street home in Rutland netted about $20,000 worth of heroin and led to the arrest of two individuals who will answer to trafficking and heroin sales in Rutland criminal court today.
A team of federal state and Rutland City police officer arrested Isaiah Hakin Bilal, 19, of Bronx, N.Y., and Nicole D. Smith, 39 of Rutland, during a search of 54 East St. on Thursday.
City police say information received during a drug interdiction operation in the neighborhood led law enforcement officers to the home where 53.2 grams of heroin - the equivalent of 1,678 bags of the drug - an unspecified amount of marijuana and $5,700 in cash were seized.
Police say Bilal was charged with heroin trafficking and sale of heroin in relation to drug selling that allegedly took place from the address. He was jailed on $500,000 bail.
Smith was charged with conspiracy to trafficking heroin, sale of heroin and possession of the drug. She was jailed on $250,000.
Both are expected to appear in Rutland criminal court today for arraignment.MORE IN This Just InBy Brent Curtis Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.