Police: Two arrested in city heroin bustStaff Report | March 22,2013A drug raid at an East Street home in Rutland netted about $20,000 worth of heroin and led to the arrest of two individuals who will answer to trafficking and heroin sales in Rutland criminal court today.
A team of federal state and Rutland City police officer arrested Isaiah Hakin Bilal, 19, of Bronx, N.Y., and Nicole D. Smith, 39 of Rutland, during a search of 54 East St. on Thursday.
City police say information received during a drug interdiction operation in the neighborhood led law enforcement officers to the home where 53.2 grams of heroin - the equivalent of 1,678 bags of the drug - an unspecified amount of marijuana and $5,700 in cash were seized.
Police say Bilal was charged with heroin trafficking and sale of heroin in relation to drug selling that allegedly took place from the address. He was jailed on $500,000 bail.
Smith was charged with conspiracy to trafficking heroin, sale of heroin and possession of the drug. She was jailed on $250,000.
Both are expected to appear in Rutland criminal court today for arraignment.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.