Police: Two arrested in city heroin bustStaff Report | March 22,2013A drug raid at an East Street home in Rutland netted about $20,000 worth of heroin and led to the arrest of two individuals who will answer to trafficking and heroin sales in Rutland criminal court today.
A team of federal state and Rutland City police officer arrested Isaiah Hakin Bilal, 19, of Bronx, N.Y., and Nicole D. Smith, 39 of Rutland, during a search of 54 East St. on Thursday.
City police say information received during a drug interdiction operation in the neighborhood led law enforcement officers to the home where 53.2 grams of heroin - the equivalent of 1,678 bags of the drug - an unspecified amount of marijuana and $5,700 in cash were seized.
Police say Bilal was charged with heroin trafficking and sale of heroin in relation to drug selling that allegedly took place from the address. He was jailed on $500,000 bail.
Smith was charged with conspiracy to trafficking heroin, sale of heroin and possession of the drug. She was jailed on $250,000.
Both are expected to appear in Rutland criminal court today for arraignment.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.