Court hearing set for couple in teacher killingThe Associated Press | March 21,2013ST. JOHNSBURY — Nearly a year after the murder of a popular Vermont teacher, a court hearing will be held for the Waterford couple charged with her killing.
Lawyers for Patricia and Allen Prue are due in court Thursday afternoon for a status conference.
The couple is charged with luring Melissa Jenkins from her Danville home on March 25, 2012, beating and strangling her and dumping her body in the Connecticut River.
Thirty-one-year-old Allen Prue has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. Thirty-four-year-old Patricia Prue pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated murder, accusing her of killing Jenkins during a sexual assault or attempted sexual assault.
The court has ordered that the case be ready for trial no sooner than July of 2013.MORE IN This Just InJust days before his crusade with cancer was lost, Sgt. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.