Man gets probation in mislabeled meat caseThe Associated Press | March 21,2013BENNINGTON — A Vermont man who used false labels saying the meat he sold from his New York poultry farm was “free range” and “farm raised” when it was bought from wholesalers has been sentenced to two years of probation.
Craig Acton of Bennington pleaded guilty to fraudulently using a USDA legend on meat he sold through his Buskirk, N.Y., farm.
He was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court Northern District of New York.
The Bennington Banner reports (http://bit.ly/YtnWsm) prosecutor Daniel Hanlon said Acton would buy meat from other legitimate suppliers. He would use false USDA labels saying it was from his farm and qualifying as organic so it could be sold at a higher price.
Acton said a flood killed 1,000 of his chickens and forced him into dire financial straits.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes for fiction and biography. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and staff writer Brent Curtis discuss some of the stories... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.