Man gets probation in mislabeled meat caseThe Associated Press | March 21,2013BENNINGTON — A Vermont man who used false labels saying the meat he sold from his New York poultry farm was “free range” and “farm raised” when it was bought from wholesalers has been sentenced to two years of probation.
Craig Acton of Bennington pleaded guilty to fraudulently using a USDA legend on meat he sold through his Buskirk, N.Y., farm.
He was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court Northern District of New York.
The Bennington Banner reports (http://bit.ly/YtnWsm) prosecutor Daniel Hanlon said Acton would buy meat from other legitimate suppliers. He would use false USDA labels saying it was from his farm and qualifying as organic so it could be sold at a higher price.
Acton said a flood killed 1,000 of his chickens and forced him into dire financial straits.MORE IN This Just InIn the year since he was arraigned in the hit and run killing of a Mendon woman, former Rutland... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.