SURPRISE, Ariz. — Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez could be sidelined for more than two months or maybe just two weeks because of an injured right thumb.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says doctors have described both recovery scenarios for Ramirez. The All-Star was set to have an MRI on Wednesday night after returning to Dodgers camp.
Ramirez was hurt diving for a ball at third base Tuesday night in the championship game of the World Baseball Classic.
He stayed in the game and helped the Dominican Republic beat Puerto Rico 3-0 for the title.
Luis Cruz, who was projected to play third base for the Dodgers, started at shortstop Wednesday against Kansas City. Mattingly said Cruz would the first choice at shortstop if Ramirez is out for a while.MORE IN Wire SportsEAST LANSING, Mich. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.