Man accused of pointing a gun at another person on FridayMarch 19,2013Man to face charges for gun threat
BENNINGTON — A man who was removed from an appointed town office last year after police said he falsified information on his application was accused over the weekend of pointing a gun at a man.
Chris Gagne, 38, of Bennington, is expected to be charged with felony counts of unlawful restraint, aggravated assault with deadly weapon and carrying a deadly weapon, according to a press release from Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police.
Dean said that a Bennington resident, who police did not identify, came to the police station on Friday around 2:30 p.m. to make a complaint. The resident said Gagne pointed a gun at him during an argument inside a Union Street apartment.
Officers John Behan and Lawrence Cole took a statement from the resident and a witness who saw the two arguing. Behan obtained a search warrant for the Union Street apartment.
Police approached the apartment and knocked loudly with no answer. The apartment was kept under surveillance until a team of officers could be brought in to execute the search warrant but Gagne was not inside.
Police learned that Gagne was inside a home in Williamstown, Mass.
Officers with the Williamstown Police Department arrested Gagne at 2:30 a.m. at the home on Saturday as a fugitive from Vermont.
Dean said Gagne is expected to be arraigned in Massachusetts as a fugitive, which will begin the process by which he will be extradited back to Vermont to face the felony charges.
Gagne also has pending misdemeanor charges of false pretenses, possession of stolen property, providing false information to police and false advertising.MORE IN This Just InBy Amy Ash Nixon Full StoryRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool