Man accused of pointing a gun at another person on FridayMarch 19,2013Man to face charges for gun threat
BENNINGTON — A man who was removed from an appointed town office last year after police said he falsified information on his application was accused over the weekend of pointing a gun at a man.
Chris Gagne, 38, of Bennington, is expected to be charged with felony counts of unlawful restraint, aggravated assault with deadly weapon and carrying a deadly weapon, according to a press release from Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police.
Dean said that a Bennington resident, who police did not identify, came to the police station on Friday around 2:30 p.m. to make a complaint. The resident said Gagne pointed a gun at him during an argument inside a Union Street apartment.
Officers John Behan and Lawrence Cole took a statement from the resident and a witness who saw the two arguing. Behan obtained a search warrant for the Union Street apartment.
Police approached the apartment and knocked loudly with no answer. The apartment was kept under surveillance until a team of officers could be brought in to execute the search warrant but Gagne was not inside.
Police learned that Gagne was inside a home in Williamstown, Mass.
Officers with the Williamstown Police Department arrested Gagne at 2:30 a.m. at the home on Saturday as a fugitive from Vermont.
Dean said Gagne is expected to be arraigned in Massachusetts as a fugitive, which will begin the process by which he will be extradited back to Vermont to face the felony charges.
Gagne also has pending misdemeanor charges of false pretenses, possession of stolen property, providing false information to police and false advertising.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?