Robber run down in RutlandMarch 15,2013
Vyto Starinskas / Staff Photo Rutland City Police investigate a robbery on Center Street in Rutland on Friday at noon.A quick-thinking barista has been credited with saving the day in an attempted robbery at the Coffee Exchange in downtown Rutland today.
At around noon, police said Nicholas Young, 22, of Rutland, walked behind the counter at the popular bistro at the corner of Center Street and Merchants Row, grabbed a bag full of cash intended for the bank along with an employee’s purse, then walked quickly from the store, according to witnesses.
In the ensuing chaos, employee Kate Barcellos bolted out the door and pursued Young down the sidewalk on Merchants Row, through the Asa Bloomer Building and onto the bus terminal under the downtown transit center.
Barcellos, who is 22 and stands 4 feet 11 inches tall, said she kept up a steady stream of shouts for help and for the man to stop.
At the terminal, three bystanders heeded her calls and tackled Young, who was taken into police custody. The purse and the bag of money were returned to the Coffee Exchange, Barcellos said.
Police said Young has been charged with felony grand larceny and two misdemeanor counts of simple assault for allegedly biting two of the bystanders who tackled him. One of the bystanders had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.MORE IN This Just InA Rutland woman who spray painted a response to graffiti left outside her house was issued a... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?