Robber run down in RutlandMarch 15,2013
Vyto Starinskas / Staff Photo Rutland City Police investigate a robbery on Center Street in Rutland on Friday at noon.A quick-thinking barista has been credited with saving the day in an attempted robbery at the Coffee Exchange in downtown Rutland today.
At around noon, police said Nicholas Young, 22, of Rutland, walked behind the counter at the popular bistro at the corner of Center Street and Merchants Row, grabbed a bag full of cash intended for the bank along with an employee’s purse, then walked quickly from the store, according to witnesses.
In the ensuing chaos, employee Kate Barcellos bolted out the door and pursued Young down the sidewalk on Merchants Row, through the Asa Bloomer Building and onto the bus terminal under the downtown transit center.
Barcellos, who is 22 and stands 4 feet 11 inches tall, said she kept up a steady stream of shouts for help and for the man to stop.
At the terminal, three bystanders heeded her calls and tackled Young, who was taken into police custody. The purse and the bag of money were returned to the Coffee Exchange, Barcellos said.
Police said Young has been charged with felony grand larceny and two misdemeanor counts of simple assault for allegedly biting two of the bystanders who tackled him. One of the bystanders had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.