Robber run down in RutlandMarch 15,2013
Vyto Starinskas / Staff Photo Rutland City Police investigate a robbery on Center Street in Rutland on Friday at noon.A quick-thinking barista has been credited with saving the day in an attempted robbery at the Coffee Exchange in downtown Rutland today.
At around noon, police said Nicholas Young, 22, of Rutland, walked behind the counter at the popular bistro at the corner of Center Street and Merchants Row, grabbed a bag full of cash intended for the bank along with an employee’s purse, then walked quickly from the store, according to witnesses.
In the ensuing chaos, employee Kate Barcellos bolted out the door and pursued Young down the sidewalk on Merchants Row, through the Asa Bloomer Building and onto the bus terminal under the downtown transit center.
Barcellos, who is 22 and stands 4 feet 11 inches tall, said she kept up a steady stream of shouts for help and for the man to stop.
At the terminal, three bystanders heeded her calls and tackled Young, who was taken into police custody. The purse and the bag of money were returned to the Coffee Exchange, Barcellos said.
Police said Young has been charged with felony grand larceny and two misdemeanor counts of simple assault for allegedly biting two of the bystanders who tackled him. One of the bystanders had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.