Roy JacobsenMarch 15,2013
Roy JacobsenRoy Jacobsen
CLARENDON — Roy “Jake” Jacobsen, 68, of Clarendon, passed away Monday, March 4, 2013, at Rutland Regional Medical Center.
Jake was born in Lakewood, N.J., February 27, 1945, to Roy and Mary (Landis) Jacobsen. In Jake’s early years, he studied theology at Kings College in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. In 1968, he met the love of his life, Marilyn, and spent the next 43 years of his life with her.
Jake served our nation proudly as an air commando in the United States Air Force and was a veteran of the Vietnam War.
Upon returning home, Jake and his good friend, Don Bodette, founded the first chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America. The goal of the chapter was to provide services, programs and a sense of camaraderie amongst veterans. This successful endeavor served as a model to establish the nationwide program that continues to benefit veterans today.
Jake is survived by his wife, Marilyn (Chapman) Jacobsen of Clarendon; son Kyle R. Jacobsen and his wife Natalynn of North Windham, Conn.; son Brian R. Jacobsen and his wife Erin of Dover, N.H.; and daughter Janine J. Lemieux and her husband Mark of Rutland, Vt.
Jake had a great love of family and especially enjoyed time with his four grandchildren, Morgan, Ryan, Kelsey and Jacob. Jake taught all who knew him to live a life of compassion, faithfulness and honor. He held a strong faith of life everlasting with the Lord and was a disciple to all who knew him. Jake truly never met a stranger; there was not a person in the room Jake would not meet, learn their life story and have them leave feeling better about themselves. Jake was the man that friends sought for a willing ear and honest, heartfelt advice.
The family welcomes all who knew him to celebrate Jake’s life at 1 p.m. Sunday, March 24, at the new Armed Forces Reserve Training Center, 2143 Post Road, Rutland, VT 05701.
Arrangements are under the direction of Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Wounded Warriors Project, PO Box 75817, Topeka, KS 66675.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?