Lip balm, lighters taken from vehicleMarch 14,2013Lip balm, lighters
taken from vehicle
A Rutland man is accused of breaking into a car in the Green Mountain Shopping Plaza and stealing, among other things, lip balm and several lighters.
Police were called to the plaza on Route 7 in Rutland Town at 1:44 p.m. Tuesday for a report of someone trying to steal DVDs from Hannaford’s supermarket.
But en route, police were notified that the suspect had moved to the parking lot where a Center Rutland woman said she found a man rooting through her car.
When the woman confronted the man, he turned over several items to her — including the lip balm and lighters — and then fled behind the Holiday Inn, police said.
After a short foot chase, police say they apprehended Brandon Luther, 21, hiding in a group of trees.
Luther was charged with petty larceny and was taken to the Rutland jail on an outstanding arrest warrant related to another incident.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court to answer to the larceny charge next month.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.