Lip balm, lighters taken from vehicleMarch 14,2013Lip balm, lighters
taken from vehicle
A Rutland man is accused of breaking into a car in the Green Mountain Shopping Plaza and stealing, among other things, lip balm and several lighters.
Police were called to the plaza on Route 7 in Rutland Town at 1:44 p.m. Tuesday for a report of someone trying to steal DVDs from Hannaford’s supermarket.
But en route, police were notified that the suspect had moved to the parking lot where a Center Rutland woman said she found a man rooting through her car.
When the woman confronted the man, he turned over several items to her — including the lip balm and lighters — and then fled behind the Holiday Inn, police said.
After a short foot chase, police say they apprehended Brandon Luther, 21, hiding in a group of trees.
Luther was charged with petty larceny and was taken to the Rutland jail on an outstanding arrest warrant related to another incident.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court to answer to the larceny charge next month.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.